17.7.09

Bigger Things...

I'm about half way through Poisonwood Bible and have started to question the story. I spent a bit of this morning doing some research on the history. The Democratic Republic of Congo (which from what I understand is what it was named after the independence) is smack in the centre of Africa. They've been faced with, what BBC news calls, Africa's world war lasting well over 5 years and claiming 3 million lives.

What was shocking to me is that this war was current news on January 28, 2009. I will be the first to admit that I tend to stay away from the news as I feel that it is negative energy; however I am ashamed to admit that I didn't know.

We spend so much energy, money and resources reporting one life lost (MJ) that I cringe. To think what that same dollar value could have done for these people outrages me.

It's not our war to fight? Maybe. I believe that we aren't responsible in supporting war but ensuring safety and well being for the innocent.

I have new found respect for this book and can't wait to dive in for the second half. I'm sure that my research will certainly help me finish in record time. That or the sheer boredom of fishing on Sunday will do it.

Candice

5 comments:

C.Dun said...

I totally agree on money spent here could be used for SO much good in other places around the world.

We don't control our own media exposure. You have to go in search of stories such as the on on the BBC. Turn on the TV here and you get nothing but fluff.

It's been a slow crawl for me on this book. I'm 1/5 in, reading just a chapter or two a night. Short, but meaty chapters. I'm enjoying it, but it's not the easiest read.

I already read this book many times and I can't remember the ending said...

Not to make light of a very serious topic by changing the subject, but who is your favourite sister so far?

amba said...

ADAH by far!

Malia said...

Ruth May or Rachel.

CB said...

I love Adah's sarcasm and negativity for her religion but I love that Leah is the tomboy who does eventually turn on her father too.

Toss up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails