22.10.09

All Work and No Play

I've been sick for 4 weeks and I finally went to my doctor on Tuesday. He gave me a stern talking to and told me that I had a pretty serious infection and put me on some fantastic drugs. He told me that I wasn't able to drive on these drugs (they are THAT good) so was to stay home from work for 3 days. (The truth is, I didn't have time to go to the doctor. Work was just too busy.)

Of course instead of just taking the time to get better, I decided to "work from home". Why did I do that!? I'm an admitted recovering workaholic who really tries to focus on life, friends and family rather than work.

These three days, when I'm not making cookies, buns or muffins, I'm reading Middlesex. I love the story and am finding that I'm breezing through it. Great pick Kristin!

One paragraph that resonated with me is this:

Historical fact: people stopped being human in 1913. That was the year Henry Ford put his cars on rollers and made his workers adopt the speed of the assembly line. At first, workers rebelled. They quit in droves, unable to accustom their bodies to the new pace of the age. Since then, however, the adaptation has been passed down. We've all inherited it to some degree, so that we plug right into joysticks and remotes, to repetitive motions of a hundred kinds.

Do you find that you are doing more than ever to get by? Working twice as hard for the same pay back? Doing two people's jobs and making the same money?

If you decided to skip out of work on a whim and not get caught, what would you do with your day off?

9 comments:

Christine said...

If I were home all day today...since I had no car I would probably sleep in, then watch the entire 5th season of LOST. My only interruption would be runs to the kitchen for more sustenance...like bowl after bowl of pineapple and then honeynut cheerios. OH...that makes me want a sick day!

Alana said...

Right now if i could get outta work without anyone noticing (and mentally not worrying about work) I would get in my sweat pants, turn on the fireplace and read. I need a release. My goal for 2010 is to SLOW DOWN!

CB said...

Alana...I'm with you on that. It seems like every year, my New Year's resolution is to slow down and enjoy life. By February 1st, I'm right back where I was. If anyone has the magical answer, I'm listening!

Ambs said...

I only feel this way about 10% of the time. 90% of the time I wish I had more to do. I had a job where I felt like that so I quit....made way less money but now and back making the money I did in sales. I skip out of work every now and then. One time I went to the mall with my parents the day after my mom found out her dad passed. And the last time was to hang out with an old friend.

I feel pretty lucky to work at a place where I can call in "haircut" or "mental health day" and dont get too much stink eye for it. So many places still look down on people for needing a breather every now and then...your health is just not worth the paycheck.

My advice(and dont take this the wrong way..it was said to me years ago) dont think you are so important that the world will come crashing down if you arent there. Harsh but true.

Where you are MOST important is to your family and friends. And when you aren't there....it does matter. So make sure you have your priorites straight. At the end of the day your job doesn't care if you lose it, but we would care if we lost you.

Alana said...

Bravo Amber, couldn't of said it better! x

Malia said...

Couldn't agree more Amba :)

Candice said...

Awwwwh...you guys! I started crying when I read that Amber...In a good way.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality. I think that I focus so much on leaving a legacy that perhaps I'm leaving a legacy for the wrong thing.

I love each and every one of you. Thanks for being you.

K-yes I am taking yoga philosophy-D said...

Candice, on the topic of leaving a legacy: Think about this - the only moment you have any control over is right now. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. You have no control over how anyone will remember you. Worrying about tomorrow and the legacy you will leave behind denies you of the opportunity to experience your life today. It is a huge lesson in ego, because we think that by leaving a legacy we will live on forever - but the reality is that nobody will even remember you 25 years after you die. So, I say... Take a f*cking break if you need it. Take care of yourself and the people you love. Skip out on work if you have to...everyone else wishes they could. Be present.

Christine said...

The other day I saw this...

Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday, and all is well.

I should've bought that and hung it on my wall!

ps. love the yoga philosophy...do you have a Guru?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails