30.9.08

Looking for That Diamond in the Rough

About block from my condo are a few ammenities: a watering hole, a small personal fitness centre, a drugstore where I used to buy my smokes (day 10 btw), and a cute little mom and pop coffee shop. Now, this coffee shop is unlike any Starbucks or Second Cup - it is also a used bookstore. Paperbacks. Those tiny ones that are so thick because the pages are so small, the spine cracks everytime you open the book....you know the ones. Now we all know I'm a bit of a snob, and an even bigger book snob - I would never purchase a USED book. The corners are all bent and the cover isnt nice and shiny. But... I wasn't feeling well and I couldn't get to Chapters and I had nothing to read after finishing Time Traveller's Wife..., so I figured I would have a look while waiting for my latte. There were about a thousand romance novels, those super cheesy ones with Fabio-esque gents on the cover with their blowy blouses exposing their manly chests, but I managed to resist. Then of course, the Oprah selections. Boo, read them all. So, my options were limited. I was down to some Maeve Binchy book or a Michael Connelly that looked like a mystery/cop/murder fiction. I invested $3.25 into the mystery/cop/murder paperback that has now bored me to sleep 4 nights in a row. Admittedly, it's not a great book - or even good for that matter. I think I'm so ruined by all of the great books we have been reading that it made it that much worse for me but my point is - I'm sure there are treasures to be found in used bookstores, as far and few in between as they may be and I'm excited to start looking. So needless to say, when I am done with this book (whether I finish reading it or not) I will be donating it, along with some others that are taking up precious room on my bookshelf, back to my beloved little coffee shop - maybe it will be someone elses treasure.

1 comment:

Christine said...

All those Fabio-esque books might be good for "Harlequein February", non?

We should do a little Book Club Field Trip to Fairs Fair Book Store in Inglewood, I think it's a Mecca for used books.

http://www.fairsfair.com/bookstores/inglewood/

What did you think of Time Travellers Wife? Did the end make you cry?

Day 10! Congrats!

PS. All Boleyn Girl fans - Season II of the Tudors starts tonight on CBC

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails