12.9.08

Let Me Introduce Myself, I'm Kristin and I'm Time Travel Retarded

Hey y'all!

After high recommendations from both Christine and Alana, I am reading Time Traveller's Wife while the rest of you read The Glass Castle. It's great, and I love the story and the characters - in fact I imagine Henry and Claire to be a little bit like Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdam, and I never play that game with books - but I am SO confused by the parameters of the actual time travel. (Spoiler Alert) Like, how do you keep a job if you keep disappearing for a few days? Or, how much money do you need to spend on clothing if you are, say, grocery shopping in present time and then blammo, you disappear and all that is left is a pile of clothes and your sneakers?? And how exactly do you visit yourself when you were 5 and yet not change the course of your life?

So, maybe I'm just not smart. I will admit that I had the same problem with "Back to the Future", especially II and III when Michael J Fox was travelling back and forth making sure that Biff got paid his dues.

It's beyond me.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Love the post!
I too, was dumbfounded at first getting beyond my limited imagination in that book. It just made more sense to me the further along I got as far as changing the course of their lives. I love that you put Claire as Rachel McAdams because they are making a movie of this book and Rachel is playing Claire!!! Check it out here... Eric Bana is the lead male. Yum.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/
We need more authors for this blog gals...I'm sending you all another invite to write to it.

Anonymous said...

I still can't figure out how to blog on it. I need a crash course. As for the Time Travellers Wife ~ yes, you bring up valid points Kristin. Don't try to get lost in the WTFs... It does start to make a bit more sense as you go along. I, myself, wondered the same thing, about visiting yourself in the past, but not altering the future (as per Back to the Future). Great book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails