28.8.08

Decisions Decisions

As always, I'm a little ahead of myself. With 10 down and 2 to go, I am getting excited for another whole year of books to read.

For our draw we should probably have 3 selections each. We'll each get our Number 1 choice for sure and then three of us will get another selection, leaving December open for Christmas Book Exchange (which has to be a book on your Top 10 list)! In the event that someone else has chosen your #1, you might need two others.

I wandered onto Chapters online...ohhh about an hour ago and have left with a substantial list of selections for the next year. With so many choices out there and so little time to waste on the 'Love in the Time of Cholera' disasters, how do you decide what to read? By recommendation? Judge a book by it's cover? The almighty Oprah?

I started my search with Prisoner of Tehran - recommended by my MIL and SIL. SIL is proven for recommendations, MIL not so much. Remember the "Quivering Loins" book? Yeah. Anyway...turns out this is also one of Heather's Picks so could be a solid choice. So click, click, click and this rolled on to the following choices...

Suite Francais
The Year of Magical Thinking
We Are All the Same
The Thirteenth Tale
Late Nights on Air
Loving Frank
Brick Lane
Island Walkers
Ten Thousand Lovers

Then I thought, have any of you already read these books? If so, I'll scratch 'em from my list of choices for the next year. Which lead me to think...is this something that we should all do? Do we want a Book List for 2008/2009 that is completely untouched by any of us? Is this possible?

Let's give it a shot with my list here...let me know if you've read any and if all of them have been read by one or the other then we'll know this might not be a likely option and we will have inevitable book choices that others have already read.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Yup Ill give you my list so we dont have cross over reading. I gots to make it though....

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of those books, so i'm in the clear...i like heather's picks from chapter's too! have a great long weekend all! x

Anonymous said...

Haven't read any of these. I'm hoping for something totally different for next years list. Maybe a mystery or thriller. We've certainly had our fair share of mommy tales this year.

My picks so far:

Stolen Innocence
Flight of the Dragonfly - which is a mommy tale; however written by a Calgary woman based on the true story of how she got her children back.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh and:

3 Cups of Tea
Devil Bones

Christine said...

A coworker of mine recommended 3 Cups of Tea so I bought it but have not read it up yet! I heard it's a good one.
I'm think throwing in different genres is great too. We will have a more diverse year with 8 people doing the choosing.

Anonymous said...

What does everyone think about adding 1 "classic" book to the list. There are so many great books that I've never read and may never...it might be cool to add one to the list.

http://www.nicholaswhyte.info/100books/nwgbooks.htm

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, Amba, if someone wants to make their #1 pick a classic pick. I've also got one of those Simple Life magazines that has a few pages of good summer books! So I'll look through that and see what looks good. Haven't read or heard of any of those books on your list Christine. Although I am sure that we'll be okay with putting our #1 pics out there. So far this year, with only three of us choosing, we overlapped on only 2 books. So that's pretty good.
We can discuss on Friday... Let's not make it too difficult. Or full of rules...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails