5.2.08

First Rule of Book Club - Broken

You know how when you would sneak into the house at night and wouldn't want your parents to hear so you'd try to be super quiet and you end up crashing and banging around? Seems the same applies to the rules of Book Borrowing.

All weekend I treated The Other Boleyn Girl like gold, careful not to bend pages or bend the spine, and especially careful not to fuzz up the corners of the cover. So as Brian and I are driving home from Banff and I'm reading he decides to crack open a can of pop which had been in the truck all weekend. Of course it was still halfway frozen or something and starts to fizz all over his lap. He trys to cover it with his mouth to no avail. So then he lets go of the steering wheel, we start to swerve all over the road as he opens it fully with both hands (thinking this will stop the explosion). When he realizes this won't work he opens MY side window and proceeds to chuck exploding can of Coke Zero, over MY lap, soaking through 10 pages on each side of the pages I am reading, and through MY window. I can not repeat on this blog the words I had for him at that moment in time.

So in a few weeks my soiled copy of The Other Boleyn Girl will be available for borrowing to those who have clumsy ass husbands or otherwise would like to take the book to a beach, gym, or equally treacherous reading locations without fearing damange as it is no longer perfect. Kristin - you'll have a copy as new as the one you lent me!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bahahahahaaaaa!
I love it! Aww, poor Christine, I know you were trying so hard - to no avail. Oh well.
Really I could just get over my neurosis and accept the Coke Zero soaked book as is.

The title of your blog had me expecting some Brad Pitt/Edward Norton reference. "First rule of Fight Club is: don't talk about Fight Club." Maybe we could adopt a similar mantra, as I am finding more and more chicks asking to join. Like WTF, where is this sudden book interest coming from? I mean it's good, don't get me wrong, but I have visions of needing to rent out a hall in 6 months just to fit all us crazy broads in there. Needless to say, I put my foot down. My fabulously adorned foot.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!...I borrowed the "Fabulous" book from Amber who also noted the book borrowing rules. I'm quite nervous now! No worries Amber....after hearing about Christine's experience, I will be sure to have a "no food or drinks" rule of my own.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. Especially cause I know you were being espcially careful with that book. I do enjoy my new copy of Villa Incognito. Maybe your borrowing rule needs to be ~ only read it at home, in your own bed, or on your own couch. Bahhhaahhhaahhaa... Can't wait for the 20th. I'm done Water For Elephants. And want to borrow Eat, Pray, Love next time. Alana and I are on the same page about reading a book to look like it's been read.

Anonymous said...

I seriously wish I hadnt said anything about the book borrowing....good lord!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails